Wednesday 16 July 2008

Pancake Day



We just don't eat enough pancakes in this country. For some reason, everyone goes mad for them on one day in February and then forgets about them for the rest of the year. I feel a bit sorry for "once a year" foods like turkeys, pumpkins, and hot cross buns. A few days in the spotlight, loads of attention, then nothing. Like a Big Brother evictee, that's it until they're rolled out again the following year.

A traditional pancake batter of eggs, milk and flour is fine, but for really great pancakes you need buttermilk. When the acid in the buttermilk reacts with baking soda, it produces enough bubbles to make a lovely fluffy pancake with a very slight tang. With bananas, honey and a dollop of greek yoghurt, I can't think of a better way to start a sunny summer morning.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you had me at corn fritters

Anonymous said...

Oooh, I feel like you've just revived the pancake for me. The buttermilk idea makes perfect sense and I guess the slight tang would make them a lot more breakfasty. I have so many bad memories of pancakes over-doused in sugar and lemon juice - it makes me squirm just thinking about it.

Sharona May said...

YUMMMO! That looks wonderful. When there is time I love starting off the morning with a great breakfast. :)

Sharona May