Saturday 22 September 2007

Saturday Brunch













I've been itching to make sweetcorn fritters for brunch for the past few weekends but have had such horrendous hangovers that I haven't been able to find my way into the kitchen until, well, about tea-time. On this, the first Saturday morning I haven't had a sore head in a while, sod's law I happen to be out of sweetcorn cobs so instead of making an emergency trip for Nurofen, I pop to the local grocer on a hunt for some corn.

These sweetcorn fritters are what Australian brekkie is all about and I work from Bill Granger's recipe to whip up a batter to go with poached eggs, smoked streaky bacon, and a tomato salsa. I think I've really "cracked" poached eggs now, after several years of constant failure they now explode into a gushing river of yellow on gentle prodding. The dish is such a success that we have a second helping each.

No comments: